Lima, Peru - December 2016 - The Salesian Congregation on the occasion of the 125th anniversary of its arrival in Peru, and thanks to the support of the Institute of Italian Culture, inaugurated the restored Tamburini organ in the Basilica of Mary Help of Lima with a gala concert performed by the Italian musician and composer Alberto Pavoni. The organ was built in 1933 by the Pontificia Fabbrica d'Organi of John Tamburini and was restored in the past five years. It is the largest in Peru, with 34 registers and 2651 pipes. It is a pioneer instrument. In 1934 it was the first in the country with electric operation and also, since 1997, the first in Latin America controlled by a computerized system.
Recife, Brazil - December 2016 - On 17 December in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Salesian Herison Leandro da Silva Cavalcanti was ordained by the laying on of hands of Bishop Hilário Moser, SDB, Bishop Emeritus of Tubarão.
Santa Clara, Cuba – December 11th, 2016 – The Salesian Family of Santa Clara gathered to celebrate the presence of the Salesians in Cuba with the “Festival del Juguete”. Children, adolescents and young people, together with their animators and catechists and other members of the parish, lived an evening of games, songs, choreographies, to commemorate the encounter of Don Bosco with Bartolomeo Garelli and to thank God for the arrival, 62 years ago, of the first Salesian in the city: the Servant of God Fr. José Vandor.
Talisay City, Philippines – December 11th, 2016 – The Salesian house “Don Bosco Formation Center – Lawaan”, feasted the 40 years of its existence with various celebrations: the blessing of the first stone for a new chapel for the novitiate and the “Balay ni Don Bosco”; the celebrations in honour of Fr. Eduardo Espirtu and Fr. John Peter Clifford, pioneers of the Salesian house, and the blessing of the main building, with the repetition of the ceremony performed on the inauguration day, on December 7th, 1976. The Institute, that was born as a minor seminary for senior high school students, has now become a formation centre for Salesian aspirants and the see of the Centre for the Lay and the Young, with a program for catechists and religious formation, an office for social communications and a house for retreats.