PHOTO ARCHIVES

Turin, Italy – January 26th, 1854 – “On the evening of 26 January 1854 we gathered in Don Bosco's room: Don Bosco himself, Rocchietti, Artiglia, Cagliero and Rua; and it was proposed that we engage, with the help of God and of St. Francis de Sales, in an experiment in the practical exercise of charity toward neighbour, to eventually make a promise, and then if it will be deemed possible and convenient, to make a vow of it to the Lord. From that evening the name Salesians was given to those who chose and would in the future choose to engage in such an exercise” (Fr Giovanni Battista Lemoyne).

Ostrzeszów, Poland – 1933 – Don Bosco was beatified in 1929. The Salesians of Poland ran a House for the children of Ostrzeszów and in 1933, one year before the canonization of Don Bosco, they received the relics of Blessed Giovanni Bosco. On that occasion, many activities were organised, and among them there was also the rehearsal of the polyphonic choir so as to offer a proper welcome to the relics of the Saint of the Youth.

Belgian Congo, Africa - 1930 - The Belgian Congo was the name of the territory in Africa administered by  the Kingdom of Belgium between 1908 and 30 June 1960, independence day, when the country became known as the Democratic Republic of Congo. At "Elisabethville", there was the ''Institute of St. Francis de Sales", where the Salesians ran one of their first educational works. The photo shows students of the Salesian School going home by bicycle.

Lima, Peru - 30 November 1933 - A photograph given as a gift, on which is written "with great respect and filial affection I offer this small gift to the Rector Major, our beloved Father Peter Ricaldone". The text then continues: "from his obedient son in Jesus Christ, Fr John Jeffter". In the picture can be seen the playground of the oratory of St. Rose of Lima, full of boys.

Page 6 of 11

InfoANS

ANS - “Agenzia iNfo Salesiana” is a on-line almost daily publication, the communication agency of the Salesian Congregation enrolled in the Press Register of the Tibunal of Rome as n 153/2007.

This site also uses third-party cookies to improve user experience and for statistical purposes. By scrolling through this page or by clicking on any of its elements, you consent to the use of cookies. To learn more or to opt out, click "Further Information".