Castelnuovo Don Bosco, Italy - The relic of Saint John Bosco, stolen on June 2 and recovered on June 15, was returned to its original site in the Basilica of Colle Don Bosco on 16 August 2017 by the Rector Major of the Salesians, Fr Ángel Fernández Artime.
More photos are available on ANSFlickr.
Pictures of the summer activities of the Salesian oratories and youth centers from around the globe
Rome, Italy - On April 5, 1880, Pope Leo XIII invited Don Bosco to take the initiative to build a church in honor of the "Sacred Heart of Jesus", specifying that he had no funds to offer him. The Piedmontese priest accepted on one condition: expanding the work to include "a large hostel, where poor young people, extremely numerous, especially in this very neighborhood, can be housed, and started off in schools for the arts and crafts." (Giovanni Battista Lemoyne, "John Bosco, the Life of the Venerable Servant of God", vol. 2). The building cost the elderly Don Bosco an incredible effort, but on May 14, 1887, it was consecrated. The Saint of Young People celebrated Mass there for the last time on May 16, 1887, during which he "often wept on contemplating his life." In 1921, Pope Benedict XV declared the temple of the "Sacred Heart of Jesus" as Minor Basilica.