What are the main guidelines for the six-year term as Provincial?
My guidelines are clearly defined in the Rector Major's letter of February 17, 2021. Emphasis shall be placed on the following points:
- Consolidation of the charismatic identity, which means that everything we are and do must be qualified by the identity of Don Bosco.
- The ministry of the most disadvantaged, poor and abandoned young people. In the Salesian mission of the Province, we have been engaged in new initiatives for some years now, but at the center there must always be the concern to be closer to the young and more attentive to them and with adequate responses.
- The quality of the formation of the Salesians of Don Bosco. I am happy with the ever-increasing number of boys and girls who adhere to Salesian consecrated life, and this requires a particular commitment to the quality of their formation.
- Commitment to a professional, transparent and collegial administration that lead to solidarity. After more than 100 years of presence in AFC, we need more adequate and stronger administrative structures.
- The missionary dimension, strengthening the province's ability to look beyond its own horizons.
- Commitment to Social Communication. The Province must renew and restructure the components of its long and good social communication; and among the various strategies, we count on confreres trained or still in formation in the field of Social Communication.
What actions are being taken in response to the pandemic and the eruption of the Nyiragongo volcano?
My colleagues have the best answers to this question because they work here in the field. In any case, with regard to the Covid-19 pandemic, we are observing the measures and respecting the rules decreed by the State (tampons, vaccinations and prevention measures). Glory to God for His protection, especially in the Country and for the Congregation. As Salesians of Don Bosco, we continue to preach for the responsibility of everyone in facing this pandemic.
As for the volcanic eruption of May 22, 2021, it was an opportunity for my confreres to show their best commitment, their welcoming capacity, their solidarity. It was a time when God invited us to trust only in Him, to grow, improve and build solidarity among us. And they were able to give intelligent and generous answers, acting with prudence, with a Christian spirit, with faith and solidarity!
Do you have a message for all your confreres and for the young people who will read it?
To all, confreres and young people, I ask you to love, know and serve Don Bosco.