Poland - Celebrations for 100 years of Salesian presence in Skawa
Skawa, Poland - August 2020 - On 30 August the Salesians of the parish of Mary Help of Christians in Skawa, with the current parish priest, Fr Tadeusz Szamara, belonging to the Krakow Province (PLS), celebrated 100 years of presence in the city. The Eucharist was presided over by Card. Stanisław Dziwisz, Archbishop Emeritus of Krakow, and concelebrated by Fr Marcin Kaznowski, Provincial of PLS, and by various Salesians. The establishment and development of the Skawa parish are inseparably linked to the arrival and presence of the Sons of Don Bosco. On 1 October 1942, during the dark period of the Second World War and the occupation, the Metropolitan Curia of Krakow issued a decree establishing the Parish of Mary Help of Christians in Skawa at the church built with its own funds and donations from the faithful. With the consent of the Holy See, the leadership of this parish was entrusted to the Salesian Congregation. This historic event was preceded by almost 20 years of presence of the Salesians, who arrived in Skawa for the first time in 1920 (and with the religious house since 1924).