In an informal but very important meeting, Fr Mendes began by introducing himself and describing his journey in the Communication and Marketing sector. He then recalled the importance of communication in the Salesian charism and how fundamental it is for the personnel and structures that work there to be able to accompany the transitions and transformations to which communication is subjected, especially in today's society.
Privileging dialogue and the frank and open sharing of one's own opinions, the General Councilor shared his insights on what should guide the Portuguese Salesian publishing house, and summarized them as follows:
- Never forget the importance and currency of books in the panorama of culture and evangelization;
- Ensure that modernization is accompanied by adequate quality management;
- Conceive bookstores as places where local culture can and must be fostered and valued;
- Guarantee a fair pricing policy, appropriate to the market and which ensures the existence and survival of the editorial structures;
- Listen actively and attentively to the voices of customers.
Also present at the meeting were Fr Rui Alberto Almeida who, in addition to being the editorial director of "Edições Salesianas", is the National Delegate for Salesian Communication, and Fr Gabriel Andrade, who started collaborating in the work "Cavaleiro da Imaculada" three months ago.
The meeting organized by Fr Mendes with the staff of "Edições Salesianas" is part of the visit to the Salesian presences in Portugal and Cape Verde scheduled from 1 April to 30 May 2021. These Extraordinary Visits are foreseen by the Constitutions of the Salesian Society and have the purpose of intensifying the communion of the Salesians of the various Provinces and of accompanying the activity of each of the Salesian houses. Convoked by the Rector Major, they can be delegated to an Extraordinary Visitor, as was the case with this visit undertaken by Fr Mendes.