Fr José Carbonell Llopis was born in Alcoy, Alicante, on March 27, 1927. He did his novitiate in Sant Vicenç del Horts, where he made his first vows on August 16, 1946. After studying Philosophy in Turin-Rebaudengo (1946-50) and completed his internship in Girona (1950-52), as an assistant to the post-novices, there he made his perpetual profession on 21 July 1951. He studied Theology in Turin-Crocetta and obtained a degree in Philosophy at the Salesian Pontifical Athenaeum and a licentiate in Theology. He was ordained a priest in the Basilica of Mary Help of Christians in Turin on 1 July 1956.
Subsequently, he carried out his pastoral work in Sant Vicenç dels Horts, where he was Director (1959-1961); Director of the Novitiate and Philosophy of Godelleta (1961-64); Director of the "Doña Godina" Technical School of La Almunia (1970-72), Director of the "Don Bosco" Residence in La Almunia (1972-75), while also holding the position of Provincial of the Valencia Province in 1964-70.
At 48 years of age, he began a second phase of apostolic service, this time as a missionary in Asia. Sent to the Philippines, he was Provincial (1975-81) - and in this capacity, he accepted the new Salesian missions in Papua New Guinea - and then Novice Master and Professor of Philosophy and Theology (1981-85); he was then sent to the then Vice Province of Indonesia-East Timor, where he spent 30 years (1985-2015), working in the Salesian houses of Jakarta-Wisma (1985-1999 and 2012-15), Tigaraksa (1999-2006) and Sumba (2006-2012), and also holding the positions of Delegate of the Vice Province (1985-1998) and Economer (2000-2006). Since 2015, he had returned to his native land in Spain and resided in El Campello.
Fr Carbonell shall be remembered as a great Salesian, passionate, in love with the Congregation, enterprising, optimistic and cheerful.
Brother Cesare Borlengo was born in Vezza d’Alba, in the Cuneo area, Italy, on 15 November 1934. He entered among the Salesians in the novitiate of Chieri on 15 August 1951; he made his first profession on 16 August 1952 and his perpetual profession at Colle Don Bosco on July 21, 1958.
An active and zealous brother, he served the Salesian houses of the then Central Province, based in Turin, near Cumiana and Casalette. For 25 years he was a well-known and benevolent figure for all Salesians residing or in transit at the Salesian Headquarters, where, with his usual style imbued with Salesian loving-kindness, he tirelessly took care of the most disparate jobs, even in the face of advancing obstacles due to health problems and old age.
Like Don Bosco, it can be said of him that he was “profoundly a man, rich in the virtues of his people; profoundly a man of God.”