As usual, Fr Á.F. Artime began by illustrating some data, thanks to the service offered by the Secretariat of the General Council:
In the period from 28 January to 27 July 2021, the General Council met 53 times.
Three provincials were appointed:
- Fr Guillermo Basañes, for the Central African Province (AFC);
- Fr Justiniano Flores Líder, for the Province of Bolivia (BOL);
- Fr Roshan Miranda Angelo Sylvester, for the Vice Province of Sri Lanka (LKC).
Also, the following were nominated:
- 105 Provincial Councilors;
- 320 Directors;
- 14 Novice Masters.
And on the theme of Salesian houses:
- 2 were canonically erected;
- 10 canonically closed;
- 5 presences were opened;
- 2 non-canonical houses were closed.
On this theme, the Rector Major said clearly: “We need not worry, because the criterion that interests us is not whether the number of houses rises or falls, but the charismatic significance of what we have today. And this speaks of a vitality of the Congregation.”
The General Council studied 8 Extraordinary Visitations to the:
- Vice Province of Equatorial Tropical Africa (ATE);
- Brazil-Recife Province (BRE);
- Southern Italy Province (IME);
- India-Calcutta Province (INC);
- Province of Mexico-México (MEM);
- Poland-Wrocław Province (PLO);
- Province of Portugal (POR);
- Vice Province of Zambia-Malawi-Namibia-Zimbabwe (ZMB).
Subsequently, Fr Á.F. Artime spent a few words to go beyond mere data, and spoke of the much work, sometimes hidden, carried out by the various Departments and Sectors in this period. Among the many activities, he mentioned:
- the Youth Ministry, the study of the Youth and Family Ministry Congress; the study of Salesian parishes; lay management presences; and, together with the Department for Formation, aspirants and accompanying presences preceding the pre-novitiate.
- the Missions Sector, the sending of 26 "ad vitam" missionaries and the distribution of funds from the Mission Offices.
- Social Communication, the continuation of the ongoing processes, the change in the managing board at ANS, and the launch of the "Don Bosco Global Youth Film Festival".
- the General Bursar, whom he praised for his commitment in managing many situations that are sometimes difficult come from all over the world;
- Formation, the study and deepening of the "Ratio Studiorum".
In conclusion, the 10th Successor of Don Bosco thanked the work done by the General Mission Office, the Postulation for the Causes of Saints of the Salesian Family, by the translators and by all those who collaborate, often silently, in support of the Salesian Mission.