The meeting of the editors and representatives of the Salesian Publishing Houses in Europe was held at the “Casa dos Jovens” in the city of Porto, Portugal on 29 & 30 November, as scheduled. Publishing houses from different countries took part in the event:
- Germany - Ms. Simone Klussman and Mr. Stefan Höchstädter, for “Don Bosco Medien Gmbh”
- Portugal - Fr Rui Alberto, SDB, and Claudine Pinheiro, for “Edições Salesianas”
- Croatia - Fr Mihovil Kurkut, SDB, for “Salesian D.O.O.”
- United Kingdom - Fr Bob Gardner, SDB, for “Don Bosco Publications”
- Slovenia - Bro. Marko Suhoveršnik, SDB, for “Salve”
- Poland - Fr Wojciech Kulak, SDB, for “Wydawnictowo Salezianskie”
- Czech Republic - Fr Zdeněk Jančařík, SDB, for “Portal S.R.O.”
- and Spain – Ms. Marta Palomares, for “Edebé”.
During the meeting, the novelties of the last two years were presented, as well as the experiences and good practices that the various publishing houses, had adopted due changing pandemic context.
“Even though we are all Europeans, we know that the reality is not the same in every country! In fact, Europe is marked by different political, economic, and even ecclesial contexts,” some of the participants pointed out.
But strengthened by the sharing and realizing that, all -as brothers, were all together in the same Salesian boat, motivated them on to continue with their projects, to be always on the move, even with the adversities and difficulties that publishing houses face in today's world every day.
On the part of the Department for Social Communication, the meeting was accompanied by Fr Ricardo Campoli, SDB, nominated by the General Councilor for Social Communication, Fr Gildasio Mendes, SDB. Among the other topics that the General Councilor suggested for the group's discussion were: Formation of the laity, Ecology, Migration and finally Digitization. A reflection on these themes responded aptly to some of the challenges proposed by the Department of communications to accompany the publishing sector and make it ever relevant.