The app is called "1k por los jóvenes", and is available for downloaded starting November 1 on Android and iOS devices. After downloading and registering it on their devices, each user thus collaborates with a sponsoring company; for each km the user runs, walks or pedals a cash donation is paid to a Salesian social-educational project.
The proposal has a dual purpose: to bind a gesture of solidarity to a sporting event. The app can be activated whenever you go for a walk, run or bike ride.
Funds raised will be used to help in the various areas of the "Por los jóvenes" Foundation in Argentina for the benefit of the young people with whom the Foundation works in various sectors.
- Formation to work: helping young people learn a trade;
- Education: helping all children attend school;
- Children and young people at risk: supporting vulnerable children;
- Salesian Missions: helping missionaries accompany the inhabitants of remote rural areas;
- Native Populations: promoting Social Inclusion of Indigenous Peoples.
"By downloading the app and using your physical activities, you can help thousands of children and young people get education and quality formation through the social-educational projects promoted by Salesians in Argentina: Transform your steps into education!", say the project's promoters.