Fr Monix was born in 1963, and spent the last last 30 years of his Salesian consecrated life and 23 years as Salesian Priest with enthusiasm and great fidelity. He served the young people and Catholic communities around the Visayas and also in the Pakistan delegation (2006-2009), where he was sent together with Fr. Jude Albarando in May 2006. His dedication is well known especially by the young people and parishioners of Lourdes, Pasil and Borongan.
The Salesian Family of Mary Help of Christian Province (FIS - Southern Philippines and Pakistan) treasure his simple and joyful life witness, as expressed on many pages of social media immediately after receiving the sad news:
- Welcome to the Salesian Eternal Gardens in Heaven Reverend Father Ramon Pacada, SDB!
- Your death reminds me of an incident in the life of Dominic Savio. When asked what he would do if he had only 24 hours to live, Dominic replied that he would continue doing the ordinary duties in life.
- Thank you for your exemplary witness of the Salesian spirituality. In performing your ordinary schedule, heaven called you home.
- Rest in peace, dear Father Monix! We will indeed miss you!
- Thank you, Fr Monix, for your exemplary ways of showing Simplicity, Dedication, Responsibility & Great Love to bring us closer to God. I am sure the Salesian Saints and the Holy Family of Nazareth are welcoming you in the Salesian Garden. please intercede for us. you will be greatly missed!
During the funeral Mass, in his homily, Fr. Arturo Julius Sanchez, SDB, one of Fr. Monix’s former rectors, shared that Fr. Monix was a simple Salesian who did not build any buildings, write any books, or achieved doctorates, but he was a passionate and faithful Salesian. He said, “In front of God, greatness does not count, only our faithfulness,” and described Fr. Monix’s faithfulness in his prayer life, in his passion for the ministry, and in his practice of poverty.
At the end of the celebration, eulogies were given. The Provincial Superior, Fr. Godofredo Atienza, SDB, thanked everyone who prayed and helped at the death of Fr. Monix. He said that Fr. Monix gave us memories, his messages, and meaning to live for.
Fr. Monix died suddenly in the morning of 29 December 2019. He was part of the fun run organized by the Religious of the Virgin Mary (RVM) Sisters in the diocese of Borongan. He was about to finish a 5-kilometer run when he dropped to his knees just five meters from an ambulance on-standby and collapsed. He was rushed to the hospital but was declared dead-on-arrival. He died of heart failure.
Fr. Monix is part of the Salesian community of Borongan, Eastern Samar. Together with his rector, Fr. John Cardinal, SDB and Bro. Edward Villordon, SDB, they are working for young people through the youth and training center in the eastern part of the Philippines.
It is a glorious day for the Salesian congregation when a Salesian dies wearing his working boots, St. John Bosco once said. Fr. Monix, was faithful Salesian who gave his life for the young people in the Philippine South. His passion and his faithfulness is the glory gained for the congregation and a powerful witness for his confreres and the young.