First of all, the Salesian Cooperators were happy to give thanks for the outgoing World Coordinator, Ms Noemi Bertola (2014-2018) and welcome the newly appointed World Coordinator, Mr Antonio Boccia (2019-2024) who since 2015 has been the World Councillor for the Italy-Middle East Region (56 years of age, from Naples, Italy). In his first address the new World Coordinator requested work on the personal and institutional visibility of the Salesian Cooperators in the Church and in society.
There were 3 key inputs: the World Coordinator (Ms Noemi Bertola), the World Delegate SDB (Fr Giuseppe Casti) and the World Administrator - financial solidarity report and animation (Ms Cinzia Arena). Each delegate received an updated World Directory with the 30,000 names of all members.
“I experienced the deep faith and devotion of the Salesian Cooperators from all five continents. I wish that the whole Salesian Family will be more united in prayer to make the dreams of Don Bosco come true. Although the language, culture or nationality is different, we deeply felt our unity in the same vocation as Salesian Cooperators,” said Fr John Chong, SDB, KOR Provincial Delegate.
Through the group - regional workshops the Congress delegates discerned and approved by vote the Lines of Action and Dream of the ASC for the next 6 years 2019-2024, along with the following scheme in synergy with the 2018 Synod of Bishops Final document:
- Challenge: Vulnerable and marginalized youth & family crisis
- Dream: To become credible witnesses
- Factors: Communion, Fraternity, Mission - Vocation proposal for the young - Integral Formation with the Salesian Family - Autonomy: to growth in shared responsiblity
- Values: Charismatic fidelity, family spirit, sense of belonging and commitment
- Processes of conversion:
- Foster a deeper spirituality to know the young through the listening and accompaniment
- Internalise the PAL (Project of Apostolic Life) in the light of the Gospel light for ongoing discernment of our life and mission
- Become a point (community) of reference for outreach toward youth in need
- Leave our comfort zone to be credible and dynamic witnesses toward youth in need